Seeing an increase in the number of Catholics in the Mt. Washington area, 45 families sent a petition to Archbishop Elder in 1892 asking that a parish be started in the area. The Archbishop granted their request and later that year the parish was organized at Mt. St. Mary’s Seminary, just down the street from the present site of the parish.
The first church, erected at our present location, was eventually replaced to accommodate the ever increasing congregation. Fr. Haley gym served as the church from 1948 until 1964. In 1964, the undercroft was used for Sunday Masses while our church building was being completed. The existing church was finished in 1971.
From a small gathering of 45 families, Guardian Angels has grown into a parish of over 2500 registered families. Guardian Angels is proud to be a thriving and resourceful parish that always strives to meet the spiritual needs of its members.
Other Key Dates in GA History:
1895: Guardian Angels School opened. It started with a one room building and then a small two story building. The school now serves approximately 580 students from kindergarten through grade eight. Over the years, it became necessary to begin a Catechetical Christian Doctrine (CCD) program, which now enrolls another 270 students in grades one through eight.
1892: First Baptism ceremony was held at Guardian Angels Parish.
1893: First Marriage performed in the church.
1895: First class confirmed through Guardian Angels.
1896: First class to complete First Communion at Guardian Angels.
1904: Land acquired for Guardian Angels Cemetery.
1930s: Parent Teacher Association (PTA) was formed. The PTA provides support to the school through fundraising activities and programs that promote spiritual, physical, emotional, educational, and social welfare of the children attending Guardian Angels School.
1948: Athletic Boosters organization was created. The Boosters provide athletic opportunities for all children of the parish through a variety of programs.
1964: First Angel Follies performance. This is a musical variety show for the parish each spring which raises money for church projects.
1966: Parish Pastoral Council was formed. The PPC oversees all parish functions and sets the tone and direction of the parish.
2003: Guardian Angels School renovated its main office space and redesigned and landscaped the main entrance.
2005: The Sister Dolores Beringer Parish Center was dedicated.
2007: Guardian Angels School was named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education as part of the No Child Left Behind program.